NEW! International Olympic Windsurfing Championships to Come to Clearwater – Oct. 18 to 25, 2014. Click for details.
Clearwater Airpark was recognized as the Florida General Aviation Airport of the Year by the FDOT. The award recognizes one of 111 public-use general aviation airports that honors superior achievements in safety, aesthetics, and airport management standards in the aviation industry. Click for details.
The Marine and Aviation Department is responsible for the management and supervision of six facilities that operate on a seven-day-a-week basis: the Airpark, Clearwater Sailing Center, Pier 60, Clearwater Beach Marina, Clearwater Harbor Marina and Seminole Boat Ramp. We have two divisions that are enterprise funds and three are general funds. We have 29 employees.
The department has the responsibility for approving commercial dock applications with regard to navigation, City established channel markers, wake zones and restricted swimming areas. The Director acts as property manager for Clearwater Beach area land leases, marina building tenants, Clearwater Airpark leases and other licenses and agreements.
Coast Guard Partnership
The City of Clearwater and the Marine and Aviation Department work in partnership with the U.S. Coast Guard at the Clearwater Air Station near the Clearwater/St. Petersburg Airport and the Sand Key Coast Guard Station just south of Clearwater Beach. With miles of coastline bordering Clearwater, this partnership is a natural step in the protection of citizens near and on local waters. Photos are available online demonstrating some of the Coast Guard activities supported by the City of Clearwater.
Gulf of Mexico Alliance Clean & Resilient Marina Program
The Clearwater Harbor Marina is currently participating in the Gulf of Mexico Alliance Clean & Resilient Marina Program. An initiative to promote and expand resilient and environmentally responsible operations and best management practices at marinas in the Gulf region. It is a three-document set including a Guidebook, Policy Guide, and a tri-fold brochure The program is quite extensive and can be reviewed at:
All resources are available in the handbooks in the link above but several are listed here:
- Florida Clean Marina Program: http://www.dep.state.fl.us/cleanmarina
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) http://www.epa.gov/owow/NPS/marinashdbk2003.pdf
- BoatUS Hurricane Resource Center “Hurricane Preparation Starts with Three Considerations: Location, Location, Location” http://www.boatus.com/hurricanes/preparation.asp
- Southwinds Magazine - Hurricane Pages http://www.southwindssailing.com/hurricane-information-for-boaters.php
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection - Sample Hurricane Preparedness Plan and Guidelines http://www.dep.state.fl.us/cleanmarina/files/Sample_Hurricane_Plan.pdf
- BoatUS. “The Boater's Guide to Preparing Boats & Marinas for Hurricanes.” www.boatus.com/hurricanes/HurricaneWarning.pdf
The Marine & Aviation Department Hurricane Plan is now available online. For additional information on how to prep your boat for hurricanes, please visit www.boatus.com/hurricanes. Hurricane Season is from June 1 - November 30, Please review your hurricane plan for your boats and be prepared for the season!